Sunday, November 24, 2019

Test-fitting the P170-DH replacement board, Part 1

I decided the easiest (and cheapest) way to validate the physical layout was to get some heavyweight paper card stock, print the layout on it, and see how well the edge cuts and holes line up. Here's what it looks like:


A couple of the holes (circled in blue pen) still seem to be a fraction of an inch off from where they should be. I'll fix those, but now I'm feeling like I should spend the $32 for a quick 2-layer board to validate the positions before I spend another $90 on a 4-layer board.

One of the things I'd been researching was how to specify the slot in the lower left corner of the original PCB for the board house I'm planning to use; apparently different houses have different ways to specify a slot. Fitting this paper analog I realized that there is no reason for that hole at all, nor the one in the lower right corner. There is nothing on either the upper or lower shell that mates with these holes, nor are they necessary for the keyboard. I'm guessing they serve some manufacturing purpose because they certainly don't serve any purpose that I can see. I'll probably just delete these two holes entirely.

Other than a couple of minor changes this is looking pretty good from a mechanical point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment