Sunday, December 15, 2019

Scratched

I received an email from JLCPCB shortly after 3am this morning (4pm Monday in China) indicating they had a problem with one of the boards I ordered:
Thank you for your order from JLCPCB. Your order is completed now, but we regret to tell you that there is is 1 pcs less due to the scratch during the manufacturing process.

To not delay the delivery of your order, we sent those PCBs that are good out first. For the remaining quantity, we can remake and resend or refund the cost accordingly. Please kindly let us know which you prefer.

So sorry for the inconvenience caused!
I ordered five boards because JLCPCB only allows you to order in multiples of five pieces. I have two Canon P170-DH calculators and I'm strongly considering assembling another board with only the power circuits. This means I only need three boards and really have no use for the fourth board, let alone a fifth.

One caution to those who may find themselves in this situation: this notification email was sent from an unmonitored email address. They mention this in the body of the email, but it's easy to overlook. To answer their question you have to change the email address to their support address. I noticed this after I wrote my reply but before I sent it.



I think one of the great mysteries of this world is how companies calculate shipping costs. JLCPCB charged me $11.42 for this order but only $8.81 for the previous, nearly identical order. My guess is that the solder stencil required a larger box. Yet this package will travel literally half way around the world in only a few days.

For comparison, I need a small plastic knob from a vendor in California. It's about 1.5" in diameter, 0.75" thick, and weighs only a few ounces. The purchase price for a new knob is $36, which I won't whine too much about because it's not a high volume item. But they want another $15 in shipping within the USA -- that's their minimum shipping charge for any order. And delivery will take a week. A used one on eBay costs $12 plus $4 in shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment