Monday, April 17, 2017

Size matters

I repaired my hot-air soldering station with some JB Weld PlasticWeld quick-setting epoxy. I didn't try to force the edges of the split together, but rather used the epoxy to fill in the crack so as to minimize the strain on the adhesive. I'm a bit concerned that it won't hold on the slippery plastic of the air reservoir, but after curing for a couple of days it seems to have bonded quite well.

To test it out I mounted a second of my SOT-363 packages on an adapter board. It worked well enough, but I'm having serious second thoughts about using this package, and here's a graphic display of why that is:


See the large black square package at the top? That's a standard 8-pin DIP with lead spacing of 0.1 inch. Now see the itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny 6-lead black speck in front of it? That's an RN4904 in a SOT-363 package. Yeah.

My fine-point soldering iron looks like a frelling crowbar next to that thing. Hot air wants to blow the thing away. But my attempts at laying out an array of the larger RN4604 keep running into spacing issues.

Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment