Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Delivery updates

My Digi-Key order finally reached my local post office and is "out for delivery" now. Also arriving today, a day early, is the prototyping board I ordered from Digilent.

I spoke with the folk at PCB-Pool about the delivery of my board. The board is very close to completion, and they think they can ship it tomorrow rather than Thursday, which should get it to me Friday. While not critical in any sense of the word, having it for the weekend rather than waiting until the following week would make me happy.

They also corrected my misunderstanding regarding the site making my board. The primary CAM work is done in Ireland, but boards are fabricated at shops in Germany and South Africa. They recently bought another shop in California, but that isn't running yet. My board is being fabbed in Germany, near Wiesbaden.

As if this isn't enough of a sign of the increasing globalization of commerce, the woman who called to discuss delivery had a pronounced Irish accent. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to adapt to the cadence of her speech, as I was expecting a northern California dialect based on the caller-id on my phone. I wonder if she was really in their Vacaville office, or if the call was routed through there to avoid the international calling rates?

No comments:

Post a Comment